Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Rescued and Repurposed Bed

This old bed definitely had some serious issues.  I discovered it standing out in a field at a barn sale here in town a few weeks ago and resisted the urge to bring it home.  This is just the sort of thing I'm trying to avoid these days, but the urge was too strong and it was cheap.

The rails were long gone and it needed a real good cleaning after living in a field for
 who knows how long.  

Hmm, the wallpaper on the footboard looks like it might have been a good idea years ago.  I was certain it would peel right off, but no such luck.  I came close to giving up and just using the back side until I tried some Goo Gone; it helped, but it was still a lot of work.

Much better.
Yep, it's upside down in this picture to give it more height.  It does double duty as a magnetic board because it's made out of metal, not wood.
I sprayed it with two coats of matte acrylic sealer, sanded down the center, taped it off, gave it one coat of primer, and three coats of Rust-Oleum chalkboard spray paint.

No part of the bed would go to waste, so.....

I removed the rail supports from the footboard.  The headboard will be a project for another day because I'm still trying to figure out how to get those different style bolts off.

These were the mystery items holding an Easter card in a post from last week.  Two coats of spray sealer keeps the paint from chipping off.

The bolt holes are the perfect size for a button to rest in and hold back a card or picture.

So simple (if you're a rust and chippy paint lover).




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...